Monday, September 26, 2005

Things Fall Apart

In Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe details the life of a tribal leader in Nigeria whose existence is slowly – though painfully – destroyed. It's less about colonialism (although the arrival of missionaries thoroughly wipes out any hope we might have for the protagonist's return to power) than it is about pride, erosion of tradition, and change.

At least, I think that's what it's about. It's been exactly 11 years since I read it.

One of the major stressors in my life lately has been my application to grad school. I found out today that I shouldn't apply to grad school until I actually plan on attending grad school.

Silly me. Somehow I'd thought that because I'm taking some grad-level classes this semester I was also required to apply to UW's graduate school in order to receive graduate credit for those classes.

See, I plan on eventually getting an MA in Curriculum and Instruction, and I'm taking a graduate-level class this semester that will count towards that MA, but I won't complete the coursework until a few years after I've taught in public schools. I could hang around and get the MA, but the program is tailored for experienced teachers and besides, the courses are only offered at night and during the summer.

So basically, because I've been freaked out and generally overwhelmed with assignments, I also missed an important detail regarding my college career, and I feel just goddamn stupid. Couple that with a shitty time at water polo last night, and a deep sense of frustration at the RA gig, and yours truly feels a wee frayed at the edges.

In other news, I've decided to try going the entire month of October without wearing a t-shirt to any class. So I may be losing my mind, but at least I'll look good doing it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I'm a bit mystified here. Why beat yourself up? You applied to grad school and won't be going after all. How is the admissions office to know you're not just going somewhere else, for example?

4:54 AM  
Blogger P said...

It's less about embarrassment than about the amount of time and psychic energy I wasted worrying about the application process, not to mention the application fee itself.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

You're right, the application fee is down the commode.

IMHO, though, the time you've spent thinking about the application is not. You might try to get as many of those thoughts down on paper as you can, then file them in a place where you can easily find them next time. It seems likely to me that they would be invaluable.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home