Thursday, August 04, 2005

The End is Nigh, the Sequel

Folks, it's been a busy week.

I'd been in my second class of the summer for the previous three weeks; it's my first graduate level class and probably the single most useful, informative, and inspiring class I've taken at UW. This week is the last week of class, and we've been consistently busy turning in various assignments, including lesson plans, an electronic portfolio, and obviously having tons to read. I also started a second class this week, a one-credit-hour graduate level seminar about assessment. Both taught by guys who are geniuses in separate but equal ways.

Good times, and a hell of a lot of work. I've finished all of my assignments; both classes end tomorrow and then I'm off to Illinois for a week.

In the meantime I have to move sometime tomorrow afternoon, even though I have at least two different parties/barbeques to attend. Technically I'm not even allowed to move into my new room until tomorrow, but as I've said before - the difference between "technically" and "reality" is how likely it is that I'll get caught. And the type of people who would care about the timing of my move are also the type of people who sit behind computers until 4:59 every day.

So they can suck it; I'm moving my stuff tonight because it is technically Friday (in New York, but they never specified time zones). I've already taken two loads over and the rest I'll finish tomorrow.

On a related note, after my second load I walked across the street to the bar for a drink - not because I "needed it" (I've never "needed" a drink in my life), but because I had a busy week, I got some sad news tonight, and mostly I just wanted to take my mind off of everything. So I was sitting there sipping my Maker's Mark neat, and I couldn't help but to overhear a conversation from a few tables away.

I recognized the guys when I walked in. We have several art teachers staying in our hall until tomorrow; they're here for some conference. They checked in a few days ago when I was working the desk. They seemed nice enough at the time.

Maybe it was the booze, maybe they've had a rough week, or maybe it was the booze plus a very low self-esteem. Whatever the reason, they were having the kind of conversation that people have when they're trying to sound smart in a public place. It was like they wanted other people to acknowledge how smart they were, but other people (like me) were actually mocking them. Openly. It was some of the dumbest, most irresponsible crystal-grippin' hippie bullshit I've ever heard come out of anyone's mouth - and these assholes are teachers.

Alrighty. I'm outta here. One more day of class, a few hours of moving, and then I'm on vacation. I need it, in case you couldn't tell.