Friday, July 01, 2005

Great Moments in Film

A completely random selection of my favorite moments/scenes from movies:

In Boogie Nights, John C. Reilly's segue during Amber Waves' cinematic ode to Dirk. There's a guy in my class who goes off on tangents just exactly like that, and I struggle to keep from laughing out loud every time.

The tavern gunfight in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sure, sure, the Germans are shooting MP-40s in 1936 (MP-40 stands for "machine-pistol 1940," roughly translated), but it's just such a fantastic action sequence that minor anachronisms can be excused.

In Rushmore, Bill Murray's facial expression when he learns the truth about Max's father. Quite possibly the strongest moment of Bill Murray's career.

The look on Dave's face in 2001: A Space Odyssey when HAL says "I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen." The look falls somewhere between "Busted" and "I'm going to kill that fucking computer."

The scene in Nobody's Fool when Paul Newman's grandson returns the prosthetic leg.

To be continued. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Amazingly, I've seen all of those movies. Good choices. I hope something from Pulp Fiction makes the list.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Rosellen said...

Those who know me won't be surprised to hear that my all-time favorite scene is in Tootsie, during the denouement when Dorothy reveals herself to be Michael Dorsey. Each of the supporting characters reacts to Michael's emergence with his/her own particular shock, embarrassment, or just plain amazement.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home