Thursday, June 02, 2005

Things I Want To Do at Some Point in My Life

See a hockey game in Canada. This goes hand-in-hand with a burning desire to hang out in Canada. For years.

Skydive.

Build a model boat from the early 19th century. I'm in the middle of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels. 'Nuff said.

Build a real boat. I'd probably build a kayak or canoe from a kit supplied by these folks.

Participate in a physical competition. Something harder than rec league softball but less intense than an Ironman triathlon. Mostly the desire to do this stems from a complex I've had all my life about being athletically inclined but oddly enough, not athletically gifted.

Hike in Germany. You know, the whole romantic hike-through-Europe thing. Only focus pretty much on Germany, especially during Oktoberfest.

Hike in New Zealand. Just because the place is so cool.

See an active volcano. Complete with lava and everything. Wispy steam vents don't count.

See the headwaters of the Amazon, Nile, Missouri, and Mississippi rivers. Those first two will be tricky. The Amazon's headwaters were actually disputed until recently, and it would involve a long high-altitude trek through the Peruvian Andes. This one may have to wait until someone decides to give me a lot of money for no good reason.

Climb Mt. Rainier. I lived in Seattle for four months before I even saw the damn thing. I moved there in October, just as the rainy season started, and then one February morning I was driving south on I-5 when I came around a bend in brilliant sunlight and there, many miles away, loomed the biggest goddamn mountain I've ever seen. I could probably be convinced that a backpacking trip would be good enough, but I'm told that for some routes to the top you don't need mountain climbing experience. Which is good, because – how many times do I have to say it – I hate heights.

Cross an ocean by boat. Preferably a "tall ship" with masts and shit where I have to earn my keep on the fo'csle or get flogged. Although an oceanliner with an open bar would be okay too.

Hike the Mann Gulch trail. This one's probably the most doable, possibly this summer if I get the time. If you haven't yet, read Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire and you'll understand why I want to do this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Those are awesome goals. DO 'em!!

I've been hiking in Germany. Okay, not hiking since technically we were just walking up the pathway to get to the entrance to Neuschwanstein castle. Bavaria/Alps are BEAUTIFUL. If you get the chance, stray across the border into Switzerland/Austria. Nice little lakes and streams in amazing powder blues and dark greens.

(Found you through Tamara's blog - your comment about your dad/pliers/toenail cracked me up.)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I love your blog title, and your sense of humor is sharp.

Good luck with the hiking and mountain climbing. Though I am at least 60 pounds overweight, I too want to do a mini-Ironman kind of thing. Maybe a marathon or two are in my future.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home