Thursday, June 16, 2005

Let the Games Begin!

Class is going full-bore and I'm mostly enjoying it. Yesterday we covered major philosophies and just barely touched on how those philosophies might affect education. We've already had a few good exchanges, and the truly touchy stuff is yet to come - our reading assignment last night focused on power structures embedded in cultural behaviors, and how those behaviors are often implicitly racist. If it sounds familiar, it's because it has striking parallels to Derrida and Foucault, and as hellish as those guys made my life a few months back, I'm glad now I went through it.

Long story short, critical theory is tremendously helpful in understanding how my whiteness might affect others who are non-white, and vice-versa, especially in terms of power and complicity. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home