Friday, June 24, 2005

Cheat Day

This summer I'm trying to lose some flab and generally get in better shape. I'm biking pretty much everywhere; I'm doing daily arm exercises with two 20lb. weights; I'm eating a healthy diet.

Except on Thursdays. Thursday is my cheat day, when I eat whatever the hell I want to eat. I still do that other stuff on Thursdays, I just also eat crappy food. Yesterday at lunch I had some nasty cafeteria tacos piled with cheese and sour cream, along with sugar cookies for dessert. For dinner last night we took a pass on the cafeteria's chicken wings and grilled some burgers.

Now, I'm making a concerted effort to not eat beef. I went for almost two years once without eating beef, and I'd like to get back into that frame of mind. It's generally not all that great for you and there are ridiculous ecological costs involved in beef production, not to mention the possibility - however slim - of getting a degenerative brain disease. But last night, one of our coworkers had beef from his own ranch. And, well, I was hungry on cheat day.

"So, did you know the cows that we're eating?" I asked.
"Yup. They were fat and stupid," C said.
"Did you name them?" I asked.
"Yeah. T-bone and Burger."
"Were you able to look them in the eye as they were led away to slaughter?" I asked.
"Kind of. We send our stock into town for that."
"And they come back in little cow pieces?"
"Yup. Little wrapped-up cow pieces."
"Wow," I said, wiping juice from the corner of my mouth. "This is one tasty goddamn burger."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home