Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Happy 420!

After a boring night, during which I actually got some important writing done on the conference paper revision, I woke up this morning feeling marginally better for, like, a minute. Then my eyes started itching and I began a series of sneezes which technically hasn't ended yet. So I think this crappiness is just allergies.

On my way back from the gym this morning I realized it's April 20th, or 4/20, or 420. For those of you who aren't exactly immersed in the drug culture, today is a pot smoker's equivalent of Christmas morning. Legend has it that "a 420" in cop jargon refers to a marijuana bust. Pot smokers picked up on this and now celebrate April 20th as a day specifically set aside to toke up. And at 4:20pm on 420, if you stick your nose out the window, and if you try really hard, you'll probably be able to smell it.

Rumor has it that hippie towns go absolutely nuts this time every year; some guys I know are taking a roadtrip to Boulder for the afternoon. I've already wished "happy 420" to a few guys on my floor, who immediately cracked huge smiles and said, sincerely, "thanks, man. You too."

In a parallel universe, I'd be partaking. And while we're on the subject, I might as well admit that yeah, I've smoked weed. Frankly, I think it should be legalized; I disagree strongly with the notion that it's a "gateway drug," and I think it's a lot less harmful than alcohol. But I digress.

Happy 420, folks. I think it would be really funny if those of you who, until I mentioned it, had no idea what today means to many people, wished "happy 420" to those you suspect smoke reefer. You know, just to see how they react.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 420 to you too! - although before your blog I had no clue - except 4/20 is Tim's birthday. Maybe you might wish Happy 420 and 4/20 to him also!... Dennis

10:23 AM  
Anonymous mary ann said...

Happy 420 to you!

It can be quite the holiday, depending on who your friends are.

I've been to some pretty major 420 parties, the kind where you start at midnight, wake up on a moldy couch with a stranger's foot in your face, and find the party still hopping all up and down the street right on through to midnight that night. And I've never lived in a "hippie town".

10:39 AM  
Blogger Mags said...

Happy 420 to you too. I used to partake quite regularly about a year ago because a) I worked with a bunch of potheads and b) I was going through a bout of depression. But I had to quit because I can't control the munchies. And it's not like I can afford not to, if you know what I'm saying.

My favorite 420 moment was at a cafe in Amsterdam. We had joints laced with hash. I got so relaxed, I thought I had soiled myself. Sexy. And yet ... not.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home