Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Quick Lesson

Well, here it is, 9pm on a Tuesday night, and I'm on HR. As a refresher, HR stands for "hall rounds" and it entails walking each floor like a cop on the beat. The early round is pointless, without fail – although a few weeks back we did get an epic weed bust on the early round. But mostly the early round is pointless, and now I'm just killing time until the 10 and midnight rounds.

Something came up tonight that I feel is important to discuss. One of the lobbies has a large poster of the NCAA tournament bracket. My HR buddy and I were discussing how utterly fucked our brackets are, and he mentioned how surprised he was by Louisville.

And here's my important topic. It's pronounced "Lou-uh-ville." I didn't learn a whole lot during the course of my two plus years in Kentucky, but I did learn that Louisville is a fairly cool town, and I learned how to pronounce it:

It's not "Loueeville;" there's no hard "e" and you don't need to force the alveolar "l"s and labiodental "v." Doing so makes you sound like an idiot – or an ESPN analyst.

It's not "Looville," either; you don't smother that middle syllable. Sure, when you've had one too many mint julips, it's easy to forget. But slurring three syllables into two makes you sound like, well, you've had one too many mint julips.

It's "Lou-uh-ville." It should be a smooth and sweet three syllables, emphasis on the first and third.

And that, Dearest Readership, concludes tonight's lesson. Tomorrow: how to pronounce "Dubois" (a small Wyoming town) without sounding like a tourist.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

I know, I know! It's Du Boys.

2:01 PM  
Blogger P said...

Goddam, *nothing* gets by the Dearest Readership.

Tamara of T&A is correct; Dubois is pronounced like "Du Boys." For her time and effort, Tamara wins absolutely nothing.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might consult your Kentucky linguistics friends. I believe Louisville is pronounced ""Lou-uh-VUL" rather than "Lou-uh-ville." If you find I'm right, I'll take the same prize as Tamara!

Dennis

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home