Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Mansick

The last week or so has been less than terrific. I did poorly on my second quiz in Senior Seminar in English, the Eagles lost the Super Bowl, and then on Monday I had a nasty test in my Linguistics class. My vial of magic writer juju was powerless against the dark forces of fact-based fill-in-the-blank questions.

And now I'm sick. At least, I think I'm sick. I'm kind of achy and tired and pissed off at the world. An exgirlfriend used to call this kind of thing "mansick," her theory being that men do not, in fact, even have a working definition of the words "sick" or "pain." I think her argument was rooted somewhere in the idea that women tolerate more aches and pains throughout their lives than men can possibly fathom. To which I would theoretically respond, "Clearly you've never been a Detroit Lions fan. The bruises and cuts from punching walls in frustration are far more painful than menstrual cramps, I assure you."

But I digress.

I had a good two months of happiness going, one of the best emotional stretches in recent memory, and now I'm just generally bummed out about school. I still think I'm still on the right track, but the amount of work I have to do before even getting to step foot in a classroom is discouraging. And now the RA gig is starting to annoy me again. I'm reapplying for next year and am requesting to be placed either in the 21+ hall or on a "quiet" floor in the undergrad halls. We'll see how it goes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leta said...

My grandmother has you totally beat. She had menstrual cramps, gave birth 3 times, and was a Cleveland Indians fan for several decades. Your suffering is as nothing to hers.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home