Monday, January 10, 2005

Yet Another Mix CD

Because I've been a little bored the past few days, I made a mix CD for my fellow RA's. I didn't include the following comments in the email I sent to them because that would be a little too indulgent. Besides, self-indulgence is what blogs are for. Without further ado, the playlist from Paul's RA Mix CD, Vol. 1:

1. We're Going to be Friends - The White Stripes. I fell in love with this song well over a year ago, but the entire staff is on a Napoleon Dynamite kick right now (we can't make it through a conversation – any conversation at all – without quoting the film). Given the song's theme and pop culture saturation, it seemed like an obvious starter.

2. Hey-Hee-Hi-Ho - Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Boogey music.

3. Lemon Grove Avenue - Mason Jennings. Willie introduced me to this song. It's been stuck in my head, in a good way, ever since.

4. Walk of Life - Dire Straits. It's hard to not be cheered up by this song.

5. Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground. A little inside joke for anyone who's ever had to do a round in Orr Hall.

6. Pink Moon - Nick Drake. I'll be the first one to admit that I only learned about Nick Drake because of the Volkswagen commercial a few years ago. And thank God for that.

7. Nobody Told Me - John Lennon. This one came out in '83, I think, because I remember hearing it a lot in Rochester when I was in 6th grade. Still one of my favorites.

8. Magic Bus - The Who. A little nod to a fellow RA with whom I went to Ft. Collins on a bus loaded with, well, the loaded.

9. Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty. Not sure why it's here. Maybe because it has one of the greatest lines in rock 'n roll – "Oh my my, oh hell yes/You got to put on that party dress."
10. Longhaired Redneck - David Allen Coe. A tribute to my RA partner, a Copenhagen chewin', Bush-votin' Nebraska redneck (albeit a short-haired one) and a great guy.

11. Here Comes My Baby - Cat Stevens. Here for a reason.

12. Back on the Chain Gang – Pretenders. A love song, but given The Pretenders' stature in 80's lore, I thought it deserved a spot. Besides, my boss (who's two years younger than me) will definitely like it.

13. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen. I just love this song.

14. Suitwalk - John Swihart. Another Napoleon Dynamite reference.

15. Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown. Most of my mix CD's contain a James Brown song.

16. Umbabarauma - Jorge Ben. Brazilian. One of the funkiest pieces of music I've ever heard. Plus, it's about a goaltender.

17. Franklin's Tower - Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead are making more and more appearances on my mix CD's.

18. Message in a Bottle – Police. Another 80's reference that deserves a spot.

19. Wasted on the Way - Crosby, Stills, and Nash. There's something really cool about this song.

20. Long May You Run - Neil Young. And this one, too. I especially like the sentiment here – you know, we've been through some shit together and I wish you peace, etc.

21. Back to My Wyoming Home - Gerald and Dixon. An old, old cowboy tune. "I'll jump in my saddle and away I will ride / Over the hills and across the divide / Back to my Wyoming home."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home