Saturday, January 29, 2005

Care Packages & Book Recommendations

Dearest Readership, as I write this post I'm sipping Hershey's chocolate milk and eating seasalt and vinegar potato chips. "Why," you might ask, "but why would you buy chocolate milk and seasalt and vinegar chips?"

And I would answer you: "I wouldn't. I would find them in a care package."

After my desk shift tonight I walked into my room to a ringing phone. The girl on the phone asked if I was Paul. I said I was. She said she was calling from King Street Market (a cafe offshoot of our cafeteria), and that I had a care package. I assured her that although there are people who care deeply about me, they're generally not the care package type. Was she sure she had the right Paul? Yup, she said. I'll be right over, I said.

It turns out there's an organization called the National Residence Hall Honorary, and they care deeply about RAs who get straight A's. Or at least, they care enough to send those RAs care packages.

So I have a giant cookie, a Hershey's candy bar, a box of Sugar Babies, another bag of chips, a Sobe drink, and a Dole juice... all for being an RA with a 4.0.

Well, shit! Thanks, NRHH!

------------

In other news, I've read two novels lately which I strongly recommend. Although they're both technically Young Adult Literature, I'm pretty impressed with each. Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, is about a high school freshman who struggles with some nasty repercussions for her actions at a party, in addition to the typical high school crap. Very, very funny. The ending sucks, but still a well written story. Feed, by M.T. Anderson (no relation as far as I know), is technically Science Fiction but could more accurately be described as commentary. It's about a young man in the future, and I'll leave it at that. Great stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger mary ann said...

Who doesn't send you carepackages?? I believe I even once mailed you a PIE...

PS: Emily is sitting right here and she says hello.

12:42 AM  
Blogger P said...

Lest I sound like an ingrate, notice I wrote that my friends and loved ones are "generally" not the kind who send care packages. I have received care packages in the past, your pie included, and was extremely happy.

Tell Em hi for me.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've sent Paul a giant blue rabbit on several occasions. Some would call that a care package.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home