Wednesday, January 12, 2005

And So it Begins

At first glance my class schedule seems easier than last semester's. Instead of 15 hours, I'm taking 12. No class starts earlier than 1. One of my instructors is my advisor and one is a professor from last semester's Scottish Lit class. That said, this semester may very well be harder than last. Way harder.

As is tradition, I list my classes in order of GPA-lowering potential.

ENGL 4990 – Senior Seminar in English. Wednesday evenings, 4:30 to 7:30. A significant amount of writing is the least of my worries here. No, I'm more concerned about being required to comment intelligently on sentences like "If the problematic 'closure' of textuality questions the 'totalization' of national culture, then its positive value lies in displaying the wide dissemination through which we construct the field of meanings and symbols associated with national life" (Bhabha, Nation and Narration, 3). At least the instructor is one of my favorite profs from last semester and I'm familiar with her expectations. Which are high.

EDCI 4120 - Literature for Young Adults. Tuesday evenings, 4:10 – 7:00. My advisor is a very cool woman. Judging by the assigned workload in this class, she's also a sadist.

ENGL 4750 – Fundamentals of Linguistics. MWF 1:10 – 2:00. I generally like languages and I've always been curious about linguistics, so I'm looking forward to this class. I'm especially interested in understanding how prescriptive linguists and their supporters (i.e., every fascist grammarian you've ever known) use language as a means of oppression, intentionally or otherwise. In other words, how is language manipulated to further agendas in politics, the media, and public schools? Unfortunately, we probably will eschew those issues in favor of, say, identifying transitive and intransitive verbs. Wheeeeee.

EDST 3500 – Quantitative Reasoning. MWF 2:10 – 3:00. A better title would be "Assessment Methods," which is actually pretty close to the class's new title next semester if I understand things correctly. It looks like we'll be examining ways of creating assessments, and the pros and cons of various ways of assessing. Um, okay. Just promise me there's not a whole lot of math.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home