Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The Worst Typo Ever

Several posts back I mentioned I was in the process of completing my Phase III application, the first step in finding a student teaching job next year. I completed, printed, and turned in my application last week.

Today I found a slip of paper buried under texts, articles, and unopened mail. It was a to-do list, something I do only when my life gets extraordinarily busy. With one exception, everything had been crossed of the list: pay rent on the storage unit, return library books, turn in RA paperwork, etc. The one thing that wasn't crossed off? "Typo on Ph. III app."

A nasty wave of nausea washed over me, the kind of feeling you get when you realize you forgot to pick someone up at the airport. It took a running leap over embarrassment and plunged headlong into humiliation.

You see, part of the application required us to explain why we chose Laramie or Cheyenne as our preferred teaching locations. My response read, in part, "Several of the guys on my floor attended Laramie high and had good experiences. . ."

Although technically true (they smoke more weed than an Oregon snowboarder with glaucoma), I really didn't want the application committee having a belly laugh at my expense. So I printed out a corrected version, skipped lunch and hightailed it over to the Office of Teacher Education, where a very nice woman had a belly laugh at my expense while digging out my application. I swapped out the page.

[Insert sound of Paul popping his neck.]

3 Comments:

Blogger Leta said...

Years ago I sent out a document where the all important "l" was missing from the word public. I could only hope that the customer wasn't planning on reading it closely.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul - I'll try not to forget to pick you up at the airport on the 20th! - Dennis :->

4:06 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I must be missing something---the typo in question doesn't sound all that serious to me...

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home