Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Four More Years! Four More Years!

The American people have spoken and what they've said is, "Please, can we have another four years of theocracy and fear and war rhetoric? Huh, can we? Pleeeeeeeeeease?"

I went and voted yesterday and felt damn smug about it. Not that Presidential votes matter in Wyoming; I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure we've never voted for a Democratic presidential candidate. Still, there were a few interesting amendments which were easy decisions and many local elections that weren't. Since I had no idea where the local candidates stood on issues, mostly I picked the people with Scots-Irish surnames because, well, why not?

Back to the national scene. The Democrats are getting their asses handed to them, including a major upset in South Dakota, where Tom Daschle has been dethroned. Gay marriage bans, or definitions of marriage as a union between Man and Woman, are passing all over the place. If you're one of the holier-than-thou types who support gay marriage bans, all I can say is "enjoy it now." By the time I'm 50 – 18 years – those amendments will be overturned. Even the most adamant God-fearing, Bible-thumping Christians have yet to explain to me why two people who love each other shouldn't have domestic rights. And don't start quoting scripture on me. YOUR God may not have room for loving relationships; mine does.

The single bright spot in this whole mess is Obama giving Keyes the what-for in Illinois. I have the feeling Obama will play a major role – if not an historic one – in American politics over the next several years.

So that's that. Some of this is sour grapes; I feel strongly about many things and I'm baffled by people who feel differently. Maybe another four years of Bush won't be too horrible, but I think in all likelihood, all we've done is encourage more division and self-righteous posturing from Washington. And hey! At least we'll have plenty of material.

See you in the streets.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I hear ya Paulie. I think Bush appealed to the uneducated (like himself), and those uneducated voted in droves. The only consolation is that he HAS to leave in 4 years. I just hope there's not too much of a mess to clean up by then.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Leta said...

Mary Ann's blog says that she's thinking of moving North and marrying one of CanadaDave's friends. Save one of those friends for me because it's going to be a depressing four years.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Try Norway.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home