Monday, October 11, 2004

Guns and Me

To paraphrase a recent email: "Love the blog, but what's up with all the stuff about guns?"

Hmm. Yes. The guns. I don't own any guns. The one gun I did own I never fired once, and gave to my stepbrother, who runs the risk of meeting Wyoming's less polite wildlife on a regular basis. As far as I know, he hasn't had to use it yet, thank God. And for those who weren't paying attention in the previous post, he doesn't plan on using his gun on bears; for that he carries bear spray, a mace-like substance. I'm not exactly sure what scents bears hate so much they'd rather flee than smell them, but I'm glad I wasn't on that research team. "Larry, we're going to spray you with an experimental substance, and then you're going to walk over to that river where the grizzlies are feeding. Let us know if they attack."

But I digress.

Guns. They're really quite amazing feats of engineering: there's a serious amount of energy being spent and controlled every time a gun is fired, and I'm impressed with the various ways that's done. Aiming and firing a gun is tricky and actually pretty cathartic; I even had the chance to attend a "machine gun shoot" in Kentucky a few times, just to see real machine guns up close. Firing weapons that soldiers used in battle definitely gave me a deeper appreciation for the terror of combat. So for all my adolescent war fantasies, these days I'm interested in guns on a strictly intellectual level. And really, for me, that's about where the fascination ends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

For the record, I have not had to use the gun or bear spray as of yet during my trips to the mountains. However, the bear spray was attached to the hip yesterday during our trip to a stream high in the Absaroka Mountains of Wyoming. No bear signs, but a large mountain lion track was observed. Let's just say the spray was cocked and ready at that point.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Paul! It has been a week. Post post post! :D I can't wiat to hear how your life has been.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home