Friday, August 27, 2004

Get Me Morley Safer on the Line!

By Wednesday, RA training had slowed to the point that they were giving us a few hours off per day. After lunch I decided to buy a parking pass and my textbooks.

Let me start with the parking pass. First, this is Wyoming, the least populous and most sparsely populated state in the lower 48. In case you've never been here, the entire state could easily be a parking lot. Seriously, there's a lot of room here. Hell, that's partly why I came back (but also because of the people. Wyoming has a dearth of pretentious hipster fuckwads, except in Jackson Hole, where I guarantee 95% of the people driving SUVs wouldn't know how to engage the 4wd system if their life depended on it... which is why I hope that someday it will).

But back to the parking pass.

The University of Wyoming recently removed parking enforcement duties from the cops and created its own little parking department. Now, I don't know a whole lot about bureaucracies, but I do know this: if you give a small group of people a high degree of power, they're going to abuse it. Show me someone who's in charge of parking somewhere, and I'll show you a cold, cold heart.

So parking for one calendar year is $90. I realize that for some of you that barely covers a fiscal quarter's worth of lattes, but that's a hell of a lot of money for UW students. I just didn't enjoy writing that check.

Then I went to the bookstore.

Okay, okay, everyone already knows college textbooks are notoriously overpriced, and griping about the buyback racket, though fun, is a very tired joke.

But for three English Literature classes, a "teaching with microcomputers" class, and a "human and lifespan development class," I dropped $521.

Thank you sir, may I have another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home